Thursday, March 5, 2009

There's no I in TEAM

What do you get when you take 9 fabulous women, give them a common goal to attain and turn them loose? You get the greatest team that ever did an MS Challenge Walk!

It’s a lot of work. I don’t even know if I will be able to finish. But I have an amazing group of friends who are going to help me try.

Of my 8 teammates, I’ve only met three of them face-to-face. That leaves 5 women who I only know from the internet, and yet they’re dropping everything in their lives for a long weekend in September, boarding planes, driving long distances, to come together for a cause that I believe so strongly in.

Each of them have touched me in ways I can’t explain; some of them in ways I totally can explain, but that’s best left for a Penthouse Forum letter.

I wanted to share these amazing women with you, in their own words. Well, except for Patty, because she hasn’t answered my questions yet. I guess I’ll just make up some stuff for her.

Ready to meet my team?

KIM - Team Captain



Age: 38
Occupation: Medical Student Coordinator
State of Residence: Virginia
*Please note that I am the youngest. *giggles* Thank you.

Have you ever done anything like this walk before?
When I was much younger (middle school maybe) I did the Walk for Mankind. I want to say that was like 15 or 20 miles, I don’t remember. I do know that we walked for an entire day.

Everyone here has kids - do they know you're walking? What do they think?
Josh knows I’m walking. At 5, he kind of gets it, but then again, he doesn’t really grasp it. He’s more concerned with why he won’t get to see me for a few days in September.

What do you do for fun?
Play with Josh. Play on the Wii. Do logic problems. I’m a pretty vanilla kind of girl.

Why did you choose to walk instead of just donating money?
I chose to walk because I could donate a couple hundred dollars and that would be it. OR, I could walk, ask everyone I know to walk with me or donate and raise a few thousand. Plus, I want to do it before I’m not able to, just to push myself a little. Pushing yourself and finding out what you can accomplish is an amazing thing.





SPOONER, First Mate (SPONSOR HER)





Age: 45
Occupation: Hooker, Office Staff
State of Residence: Illinois

Have you ever done anything like this walk before?
The most physically taxing thing I've ever done is run about 8 miles in grueling heat. I was a runner (albeit a very slow one) then. Walking works better for me now.

Everyone here has kids - do they know you're walking? What do they think of it?
My two teenagers know I'm walking. Everytime I go for a training walk, I come home and let them know how far I went. I am greeted with high fives and proud-of-their-mama smiles. I've talked to them about the people we know with MS, so they understand the importance of this walk.

What do you do for fun?
Travel. Explore Chicago. Spend time with friends from here, there and everywhere.

Why did you choose to walk instead of just donating money?
Choosing to walk with you was easy for me. It was geographically feasible, and after walking the 5K with you last year, I knew we'd have a lot of fun together. I was ready to take on a physical challenge and I knew that we would support each other in reaching this huge goal.





TINER, Team Trainer (SPONSOR HER)



Age:39
Occupation: Administrative Assistant/Part-time fitness instructor
State of Residence: Missouri

Have you ever done anything like this walk before?
I've never done anything like this walk. Several years ago, I assisted in organizing a Workout for Hope in my town. Workout for Hope is a fundraising effort that uses fitness and fun to raise awareness and money for HIV/AIDS and cancer research for City of Hope. As for physically taxing events, a 3 day fitness conference is probably the most physical thing I've done in recent years. I'm a big advocate of health and fitness and I try to promote it in everyday life. I think this walk will test my mettle and challenge me in a new way.

Everyone here has kids - do they know you're walking? What do they think of it?
My kids, 15 and 11, know about the walk. I don't know if they fully understand how MS affects a person, but they understand that this is a good cause and that it's important to me.

What do you do for fun?
Reading, outdoor activities, hanging with my family, venturing out to discover new places. Now that I have the Wii Fit though, it's quickly becoming my new favorite "fun" thing.

Why did you choose to walk instead of just donating money?
I’m walking because you threatened me with bodily harm... and because I love you. I want to see advancements in MS research and eventually a CURE. You have to dance at Joshy's wedding and chase grandbabies when you're old.


DEE - Team Kindness Coach (SPONSOR HER)



Age: 44
Occupation: Small Business Owner
State of Residence: Nebraska

Have you ever done anything like this walk before?
No. My sister warned me that though I run, I might not be ready for a 50 mile walk. I still raise my eyebrows since I do almost 7 of something daily. I'm going to trust her on this and be prepared. Has anyone seen my friggin Ipod? *eyes boys with evil intent* I'm fairly physical, even if I am scared of heights, I do most things with intent.

Everyone here has kids - do they know you're walking? What do they think of it?
Those buggers know about this and will donate a few bucks themselves! Lord knows I drug in fund-raising forms to work forever when they needed it. Payback time!

What do you do for fun?
As much as I whine, the first and foremost thing I do for fun is have with my children. For fun that just involves me (and maybe another?) I rent a room, feed the dogs, lock the doors and leave my cell phone at home.

Why did you choose to walk instead of just donating money?
Was it this email or another where I said I promised to dance with you at Josh's wedding? Count me in, love. I think I said I'd sit in the back with the outer out-laws. And honey, I'll find you at 70 on a front porch with children running everywhere. I'll also be the one to say, it's 5 o'clock somewhere and make you a spiked tea. *we can talk dirty about the men* Life is just beginning. Changing, yes, but still, just beginning.


MS. CARLA - Hospitality Coach (SPONSOR HER)



Age: 54
Occupation: Wedding Planner/Photographer
State of Residence: Georgia

Have you ever done anything like this walk before for any reason?
No

Everyone here has kids - do they know you're walking? What do they think of it?
Yes - very excited for me!

What do you do for fun?
Elopement planning, photography and friends/family time.
Why did you choose to walk instead of just donating money?
A very good friend thought it would be something I would truly enjoy and encouraged me wholeheartedly. I wanted to do something in a big way to help those less fortunate than me. Giving of myself and working hard to get to a goal is so self-satisfying.


JANET - Accomodations Coordinator (SPONSOR HER)



Age: 46
Occupation: Massage Therapist/Radiological Technologist State of Residence: New York

Have you ever done anything like this walk before?
Yes, 3 day breast cancer walk in 2001. My aunt and sister are breast cancer survivors. I have done the Relay for Life walk the past two years. My father died of lung cancer in May 2008. My sister had a tumor taken from her back in 2008. I had basal cell carcinoma removed from my face in Aug 2008. Another sister had breast cancer in 2007. So I am very passionate about helping others.

Everyone here has kids - do they know you're walking? What do they think of it if they do?
Yes two girls, age 11 and 10. They know it is for a good cause. They have actually done the Relay for Life with me the past two years.

What do you do for fun?
Hang with friends. Boating in summer, skiing in winter. Travel.

Why did you choose to walk instead of just donating money?
I chose to walk because when you actually KNOW someone who is suffering with the disease, it makes it much more personable. And though I have never met you face to face, I love you to death, Kim! My cousin suffers with MS as well.


JENILU - Team Logo Designer(SPONSOR HER)



Age: 40
Occupation: Marketing Director
State of Residence: Florida

Have you ever done anything like this walk before?
No I've never done anything like this before. The most physically taxing thing I've done was give birth without an epidural. More recently was 42 flights (838 stairs) in under 13 minutes. Next year, it will be under 10!!

Everyone here has kids - do they know you're walking? What do they think of it if they do?
My kids know I'm walking and Jenna (8) wants to come along. My son, Marty, wrote a "My Hero" project at school about mom and the charity work I do. He's pretty proud.

What do you do for fun?
Outdoor sports with the kids. Graphic design - sounds lame I know but I enjoy it! A TV nearby with a great Yankee game on is a plus!!!

Why did you choose to walk instead of just donating money?
You've inspired me to be a better person Kim, to not just donate to charities but to use my time to to create opportunities to inspire others to work for a cause. Participating in these events and having people thank ME for being there is incredible when they are doing so much more by walking, running, climbing, getting muddy. This is not only an opportunity to meet you and all 7 of the other ladies but to truly make a difference. It's also been a lesson for my children that there are more ways than just money to giving to others. This is the best lesson I've ever taught them and I have you to thank for inspiring me.


PATTY - Team Tour Guide (SPONSOR HER)



Age: 50
Occupation: Rock Band Groupie
State of Residence: Wisconsin

Have you ever done anything like this walk before?
No, but I have participated in the sexual olympics yearly for the last 15 years. Talk about strenuous and the need to be a team player! I think I've got everyone licked. No pun intended.

Everyone here has kids - do they know you're walking? What do they think of it if they do?
They know, and they think it’s just another way for me to get into someone’s pants. You know how us nymphos are - anything for a lay!

What do you do for fun?
Sex, candy, ice cream and dodge ball.

Why did you choose to walk instead of just donating money?
Because really, what else do I have to do? Plus, the opportunity to pal around with these chicks for an entire weekend is one that should never be passed up. I mean, who knows when something like this will occur again. Don’t YOU want to be part of it too?


JAN - Head Cheerleader (SPONSOR HER)



Age: 48
Occupation: Lactation Consultant/Birth Professional
State of Residence: Washington

Have you ever done anything like this walk before?
Yes, I have done quite a few (29) 60 mile Breast Cancer 3 Day walks.

Everyone here has kids - do they know you're walking? What do they think of it if they do?
My kids know about the walk. They have all participated in several fundraising events, including 5K MS challenges. Our family has participated in many events so it is a bit passé for them unfortunately, but never for me.

What do you do for fun?
Hang with friends and family, climb, travel anywhere. I climb mountains, parasail, kitesurf and accept just about any physical challenge or dare.

Why did you choose to walk instead of just donating money?
My best friend has MS and is in denial, doesn't even tell some of his peers. I hope to influence him to snap out of that and raise awareness, educate people and to raise $$$ for treatment, detection and a cure.

~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



I’ve made it easy for you to sponsor any (or all if you’re feeling generous) of these women, except me. I've met my fundraising goal, so before I get anymore, I want to help each of them reach their mandatory goal of $1500.

ALSO, I really need your help. When I started this team, it was originally a small, goofy group that the name “LaDorkas” meant something to - sort of a private inside joke. It has since grown into something much more, and I’m looking for a new team name for us. Give me your suggestions, quick, before the trading cards go to print! Topps is really picky about last minute changes, and I'm certain that Upper Deck isn't too lenient either. We’ll vote on them next week.

If you'd care to join us on this walk, go read up on it, ask me questions, sign up, whatever.

Now, make it your point to tell each of these ladies how fabulous they are.

Me love you long time.
XOXO

No comments:

This blog is crap!