Thursday, March 12, 2009

So, tell me what you want, what you really, really want




“What do you want?”

Such an easy question, yet the answer is liquid. It changes moment to moment for most people.



“I want a new job.”
“I want a good relationship.”
“I want a blow job.”
“I want a hamburger.”
“I want new boobs.”
“I want a million dollars.”
“I want to have a threesome.”
“I want to win the lottery.”

I’ve been thinking much more deeply these last few weeks. I have finally found the answer to that elusive question of “What do I want?”

I just want to be certain of what I want. That’s all.

I don’t need to know what it is I want. I just need to know that it, in and of itself, is exactly what I want; the thing I’m yearning for and all that it brings. Just to know I’ve spent my time chasing something truly worthy of my effort would be the most incredible gift.

The ability to say, “I want steak” and not have second thoughts about “or do I want a fajita?”

The strength to say, “I want to be a stay at home mom” and not wonder if that is the right choice.

The courage to say, “I want to be more assertive in every aspect of my life” and never once be concerned with the “what if’s” that go along with that.

The sense of adventure to say, “I’d like to drive cross-country and stay with people I’ve met here and there” and not worry about what if they’re really not all there and they're waiting for me with giant torture devices and a secret underground sex room. Wait - why would that second part be bad?

The ability to say, “This is what I want”, then go out there and get it, never once second guessing myself or playing the devil’s advocate.

I just want to be sure.

What do YOU want?

5 comments:

What was I thinking???? said...

You crack me up and freak me out.
"What do you want?" is my constant question these days.
What if we can not have what we want?
What if we don't like the other options?
What if it is easier to just stay here until a solution presents itself and fixes it itself?
I am tired of sitting back and waiting.
Sounds like you are too.

Stay at Home Mom has some good points, but you have to make sure you are still doing things for YOU! You will go nutty if you don't!

Let me know what you figure out, it might inspire me!

Mary

Kathy said...

I want a really, really clean house.

D said...

I want financial security

Kimmy said...

I really, really, really wanna zig-a-zig ahh.

Nora said...

I want a clear head and no snot. That's what i really really want.

This blog is crap!